Health Sciences and Nursing Resources
Find Articles (* WWCC Identification number required for off-campus access.)
Download this Nursing Database Search Tips handout for tips on how to effectively search for a scholary article from a nursing journal, published in the United States, 5 years ago or less.
Recommended Health and Medicine Database
*ProQuest Health and Medicine Databases (click this link to search all ProQuest Health at once)
- *Nursing and Allied Health Source: This provides scholarly (peer-reviewed) healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and much more.
- *Research Library: Health and Medicine: This covers the latest in medical research.
- *Family Health: This database is for a more general audience covering a wide variety of health-related topics.
Other Health and Medicine Databases
*Gale Cengage Infotrac Health Reference Center Academic: This multi-source database provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources .
*EBSCO Health and Medicine Databases (click this link to search all EBSCO Health at once)
- *Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition: Written for health professionals, find scholarly (peer-reviewed) articles on a variety of medical issues.
- *Health Source: Consumer Edition: Health information written for people with no medical background. This database offers a rich collection of consumer health information in the area of medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine, and general health.
- *Medline: The National Library of Medicine collects and indexes the information from over 4800 biomedical journals.
- *MedicLatina: This provides a variety of medical topics in Spanish.
- *AltHealth Watch: This provides articles about alternative health options, some are full-text and peer reviewed.
Open Access Health and Medicine Databases
- Directory of Open Access Journals - Nursing: This is a direct link to a collection of scholarly peer-reviewed nursing journals within this multi-disciplinary database that are freely available on the internet. Please check with your instructor to make sure open access journals will be accepted.
- National Institute of Health (NIH) / National Library of Medicine (NLM) - Pub Med Central (PMC): PMC is a free full-text database of articles in the biomedical and life sciences.
- Merck Manual - Professional Edition
- Merck Manual - Consumer Edition
- RN to BSN Online - a comprehensive guide to nursing programs, scholarships, and careers
Citation Guides - tools to help you cite your sources
IRIS Research Tutorial - a guide to finding, using, and citing sources:
- Types of Periodicals - knowing the difference between popular, trade, and scholarly media
- Primary vs Secondary Sources - identifying a research article
- World Wide Web - distinguishing types of websites
- Plagiarism and Citations - using information effectively - avoiding plagiarism by giving proper citations
Self-Help Tutorials - visit these really cool and quick self-help videos and interactive guides!
Evaluating Information Sources - determining usefulness based on Relevance, Credibility, Bias, Currency, and Accuracy