Health Sciences and Nursing Resources
Find Articles (* WWCC Identification number required for off-campus access.)
Download this Nursing Database Search Tips handout for tips on how to effectively search the ProQuest, Gale, EBSCO databases.
Health and Medicine Databases
*ProQuest Health and Medicine Databases (click this link to search all ProQuest Health at once)
- *Nursing and Allied Health Source: This provides scholarly (peer-reviewed) healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and much more.
- *Research Library: Health and Medicine: This covers the latest in medical research.
- *Family Health: This database is for a more general audience covering a wide variety of health-related topics.
*Gale Cengage Infotrac Health and Medicine Database:
- *Health Reference Center Academic: This multi-source database provides access to the full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources .
*EBSCO Health and Medicine Databases (click this link to search all EBSCO Health at once)
- *Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition: Written for health professionals, find scholarly (peer-reviewed) articles on a variety of medical issues.
- *Health Source: Consumer Edition: Health information written for people with no medical background. This database offers a rich collection of consumer health information in the area of medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine, and general health.
- *Medline: The National Library of Medicine collects and indexes the information from over 4800 biomedical journals.
- *MedicLatina: This provides a variety of medical topics in Spanish.
- *AltHealth Watch: This provides articles about alternative health options, some are full-text and peer reviewed.
Open Access Health and Medicine Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals - Nursing: This is a direct link to a collection of scholarly peer-reviewed nursing journals within this multi-disciplinary database that are freely available on the internet. Please check with your instructor to make sure open access journals will be accepted.
- National Institute of Health (NIH) / National Library of Medicine (NLM) - Pub Med Central (PMC): PMC is a free full-text database of articles in the biomedical and life sciences.
*Academic Search Complete: This is the largest EBSCO collection of indexed full-text articles available through WWCC. The collection is interdisciplinary so be ready to find lots of articles on varying topics.
*Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection: A collection of articles on psychology, therapy, behavioral studies and personality issues; most are peer reviewed.
*National Newspapers Core: Search the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, and Washington Post all at the same time.
*Newspaper Source: Find news articles from around the world.
*Washington State Newsstand: Articles from newspapers such as the Seattle Times and Tri-City Herald.
*Films on Demand: FOD Digital Education Video provides high-quality multimedia films for academic, vocational, and life-skills content.
Directory of Open Access Journals: A collection of scholarly peer-reviewed journals that are freely available on the internet. This is a multi-disciplinary database. Please check with your instructor to make sure open access journals will be accepted.
Useful Web Pages
NEED HELP ???!!!: Visit our "Citation Guides and Research Helps" page for lots of cool tools, guides, and tutorials.
Class/Assignment Guides by Topic: Visit here for additional resources for assignments dealing with specific topics or themes.