Students should consider stopping by the Student Development Center when facing educational, career, and personal decisions. Usually appointments are not necessary, but will assure a specific time for a conference. Center hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please call 509.527.4262 or 509.527.1864 for an appointment.
The center attempts to provide a place and atmosphere where persons may be able to reflect or just think aloud about their lives in a variety of areas such as choosing a career, dealing with home concerns, or simply coping with pressures.
Some of the services offered to help students include:
- Assisting students in their search for career information.
- Explaining tests and assessments that provide information to students regarding occupation interests, school aptitudes and abilities, personal values, and personality traits.
- Providing individual and group counseling.
- Assigning the appropriate program adviser.
- Helping faculty understand and meet specific needs of individual students
- Making referrals to other agencies or professional sources when necessary.
- Coordinating group activities to accomplish certain goals such as life planning, developing communication skills, increasing human potential, and wellness issues.
- Assisting students who have been referred by College staff and community agencies.
- Answering questions related to degree requirements, college transfer information, high school completion, and GED.
Counselors are trained in listening and understanding, and discussions are kept confidential.